Thursday, July 29, 2010

Zucchini!!!

We have been "blessed" with zucchini this year! My Mom, Mother-n-law and sister all have gardens that are producing in abundance. I'm having fun trying out new recipes and inventing ways to use it up. It's a great way to sneak good healthy veggies into brownies, chocolate cake and breads. The kids keep asking for more! For those of you looking for ways to use up your zucchini, here are a few of the recipes that we have enjoyed.

Garden Penne

Cassie's Zucchini Brownies I made this in a 9x13 so it was more like a cake. I also sprinkled chocolate chips on top.

Erma's Zucchini Bars


Zucchini Quiche
(from the New Holland Mennonite Church Cookbook given to us by Brian's Aunt Edna Mast)

1 can crescent rolls
4 cups zucchini, thinly sliced or chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup margarine, divided
2 eggs
2 Tbls parsley
1/4 tsp pepper
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
8oz shredded mozzarella cheese

Line a 9in pie pan with crescent roll dough. Saute zucchini and onion in 2 Tbsp margarine for 10min. Drain. Beat eggs well. Melt remaining margarine; add to eggs, along with zucchini mixture and remaining ingredients. Pour into crust. Bake at 375* for 20min. Let stand several minutes before serving.
(I omit the melted margarine...seems like a lot of margarine to me!)


I've also made zucchini bread which the boys enjoy but Brian prefers things with chocolate in them. =)

No comments: